Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Thought for today

Do you think that California would be in such dire financial straights if there were less non-profit organizations in the state?

They all seem to be based there. 

Do non-profit companies pay taxes?  I don't think so, therefore, less money for the state.  How much money goes into running all of these non-profit organizations?  Millions and Millions?  Billions??  Buildings, people, equipment, office supplies, etc.  less money for the state.

So many people donate to these organizations.  I'm sure they think they are helping, but would it not be more helpful to just buy something or hire someone.  Less money for the state in three ways: 1. no sales tax paid; 2. no employment taxes paid; 3. tax credit on the donation.

I know I've donated to charities.  It makes you feel good.  Makes you feel like you're helping.  Perhaps I would be helping more by keeping my money and investing.  Good for job stimulation.  The more I invest the more jobs I create; the more taxes paid; leading to lower taxes, or more services.  I think I'm on to something here.