Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Uncle Ted

My Great-Uncle Ted was in town this weekend. Always a pleasure to see him. I love to hear his stories. He recounted some of his broadcasting stories this trip. Apparently he was less than enthusiastic about having to have an agent. But then the agent came though with several good jobs for him. One being the voice over for Shafer in the 70's. Imagine having a Shafer type ad today.

"Wanna get drunk? Drink Shafer!"
(Shafer, is the one beer to have when you're having more than one" in case you forgot)


He took the Acela to New Haven from Boston where he was visiting his daughter. Says he didn't like it because it went too fast to see the people and places along the way. In addition he was in the "Quiet Car". In "Quiet Car" you cannot use your cell phone or computer or game boy. No talking, sneezing, belching or farting either. Punishment is banishment to Greyhound for one year or death from boredom, whichever comes first. I'd last 2 hours.
Imagine being Uncle Ted's age. He rode Steam trains when they were the fast way to go. Now he's ridden the Acela. It's an amazing feat of technology. Reagan was right in believing we (the good ole USA) can accomplish anything.

I just re-read above and wondered how I got from Uncle Ted to Reagan. The jump from one very good man to another is pretty simple I suppose. Ron and Uncle Ted had very similar life experiences. They were radio announcers, they are devoted husbands and adore their wives. They saw all the amazing changes that occurred in the 20th century. The 20th century, in my opinion rivals the 14th century renaissance in terms technological improvement.
What a great time to be alive.

update:
I wrote the letters to the editors of the New Haven Advocate and the New Haven Register. I don't expect anything to come of it, but perhaps I'll be surprised.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home