Wednesday, August 31, 2005

It's Time For a Change

At my church, we have a thrift store. When it began, it had two modest goals: create an avenue to supply some inexpensive clothes to the area; and maybe make some money for the church. It's a simple idea that many churches use I think. Collect clothes donations from church members or anyone really, then sort and display and sell said clothes. As in most churches the retired women run it. Mostly because they are the only people who have time during the week and on Saturday mornings and as in most churches, they are the only ones who seem to care enough about the church, or so I thought.

Our little thrift store has blossomed, if you will, beyond anyone's expectations, unfortunately. Yes, unfortunately. Because now, since no provisions were ever made as to what to do with the income of this store, the ladies have created their own bank account different than the church's general fund. There is now quite a bit of money in that account. Conversely there is very little money in our general fund. We have major maintenance needed, yet the ladies will only allocate money for projects that they like. Our clock is broken, the steeple needs painting, we do not have enough money even to pay for our heating oil this winter, or give our pastor, sexton or secretary a decent raise. The ladies have decided they want to replace a large window in our (money losing) playschool wing (near the thrift store) because it is drafty. As far as I know, they are not contacting the board of trustees for this job. They are just getting bids and getting it done. In my mind this borders on complete anarchy. There is no control over these women. No one wishes to hurt their feelings, or risk belittling their hard work (and I am aware how hard they work), but there has to be some control by the board of trustees. The ladies have carte blanche to do whatever it is that fancies them. The church must beg for money when something needs replacing or needs maintenance. Does any other church congregation need to do this? It is time for a revolt. And I mean that in the nicest way possible.

I do not, nor do any others in the church, wish to insult these women, but the time has come to make sure all the income from the thrift store gets deposited into the general fund. No longer can we beg for money from outside sources, have pancake dinners, corned beef dinners, etc. That net the general fund $20 at a time. We need that money. It's as simple as that.

I am grateful to all the women for their hard work. And there are only a couple of those women who are now prima donnas due to their success (sickening but true). But if they really care for the church as they claim they do, then they will surrender their funds and continue to deposit all income from the thrift store into the general fund. If it's glory or recognition they require, then they can post their earnings in our monthly newsletter, The Herald, and also post it on the bulletin board in the gym. The minister can even announce it once a month during the weekly announcements before service.

Something must be done. Someone must speak out. This is my attempt to get the ball rolling. I will forward this link to my pastor and perhaps she will forward it to other church members. If this effort fails, then I'm afraid the congregation fails. The thrift store money does not guarantee the congregation's survival, but the lack of it guarantees it's demise.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

AMEN!!

Sounds like their good works (which I also cannot discount) are getting tangled up with their egos. Does the Board of Trustees have now power over this group? Do they pay the Church rent? If so, quadruple the rent now! If not, make them start.

September 04, 2005 8:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the pastor said...

Well...

As I understand it, the Thrift Shop was started as a way to raise funds for the Trust fund. Half of their earnings still go there. The other half is put into their account, and they spend it as they will, but only for projects within the church. (They don't run out and furnish personal homes with it.) The Trustees do have "power" over the Thrift Shop, which they sometimes use, and sometimes don't. I will say that the Thrift Shop has never refused a request of mine. It is my understanding that they have agreed to pay for the clock repair, though I could be wrong. As far as the window goes, with the cost of heating oil I'm for anything that caulks up this old building. I see the replacement of this window, not as cosmetic, but as energy-saving.

The Thrift shop has not been making the money they did even a few years ago. I think that with the advent of Walmart and similar super-discount stores, people would rather buy new clothing, even if it is of inferior quality.

Our church depends heavily on our Trust fund to make up the deficit in our budget. I have my own opinions about having a large trust fund...

It is, indeed, time for a change, but perhaps not with the Thrift Shop ladies. It is time for each member of this church to participate and invite their friends. It is time for younger people to be more involved, not with the ancient institutions of Thrift Shop and Playschool, which may both be declining, but in bold, new ways that only they can imagine. I have a new sense of anticipation this fall, and I feel a Spirit on the brink of some intangible change. Let's build on a new vision of the church. I would rather put my energy there than trying to change something so firmly entrenched that it is embedded in the personalities of those involved.

I would look forward to meeting with you, to talk about some of this (rather than usurping Skip's blog--*smile*.)

September 16, 2005 10:30 AM  
Blogger Skip said...

Hmm ...

I guess I wonder why half goes to the Trust fund and not all or why not the other half to the General Fund, etc. I too am happy that the window is getting changed, but the descision should not be theirs. I am also glad they've never refused a request from you, but again, their egos should not have to be stroked by you or any other board having to ask for money.

Now for some introspection ...
You are indeed correct that we need younger participation and newer ideas. I for one, have no new ideas (I wish I did) so I was looking to changing some of the old ideas. As for participation of the younger members; I note that when the younger members try to help they are somewhat rebuffed (in some cases the help is down right refused) by much of the older membership.

You and I have chatted at length about both of these issues and I don't really think I can change it myself. I've run out of patience and time and energy, not just with the church, but with community, job and my family.
So I've refocused on just making my family work for now. This includes making my job work since it directly affects my family. Hopefully I will recharge and get to making my church and community work, too.

September 16, 2005 3:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, but I have new ideas!
WE can bang our heads bloody trying to change what is, but we have carte blanche when it comes to something new.
I maintain that when we are right with God, (not necessarily the church) the rest of our lives fall into place. Don't confuse the church with the Spirit. the church is an institution. the Spirit is Life.

September 17, 2005 2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home